Upcoming iLearn Training Courses
- This event has passed.
Rubber Compounding for Durability – Endurica Event
June 9 - June 10$1,280
Are you challenged to make your rubber products last longer? Rubber compounds are complex mixtures of polymers, reinforcing fillers, oils / plasticizers, curatives, stabilizers, and other additives that are combined in relatively quick mixing processes. Durability is impacted by all these ingredients, their interactions, and the quality of the mixing. This one-day course will teach compounding strategies to improve the strength and lifetime of rubber components. This specialized training will benefit materials engineers, compounders, rubber chemists, product development engineers, R&D scientists, and rubber lab managers at manufacturers of tires and rubber parts and companies that supply raw materials.
- Understand how rubber fatigue and failure characteristics are influenced by materials selection and compound structural features
- Learn compounding strategies to improve strength and fatigue lifetime
- Know the right testing methods to characterize rubber durability efficiently in the lab
Day 1: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Introduction: What types of failure are manifested in your products, and what is durability worth to you?
- Brief overview of rubber formulations and mixing approaches
- Testing for durability in the rubber lab: Focus on efficient testing of crack nucleation and crack growth
- Framework for compounding for durability
- Polymer selection: Chemical stability, strain-induced crystallization, molecular mobility, polymer blends
- Crosslinking effects: Effects of type, density, and distribution of crosslinks
Filler type, dispersion, and reinforcement topics, including processing effects and crack precursors
Day 2: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- Stiffness and deformation control mode
- Influence of oils, plasticizers, and resins
- Stabilizing against aging
- Simulation for materials selection and durability prediction
- Wrap-up discussions, final Q&A
The course includes lectures and classroom exercises focused on understanding fatigue behavior of rubber and developing compounding approaches to improve durability. Lunch and snacks are included.
Instructor: Christopher Robertson, Endurica
Hotel Information: ACE Products & Consulting LLC has a negotiated rate of $119 at the Kent State University Hotel & Conference Center. You can call the hotel directly at (330) 346-0100 or reserve online at www.kentstatehotel.com and use promotion code ACE for our rate.